Plan Your I-70 Adventure: 6 Ways to Play off Exit 205 this Winter
Published December 18, 2019
There’s no better time to soak up Silverthorne’s snow-filled splendor than over the holiday season. Whether you’re headed to the Colorado high country to play hard or to relax and unwind, plan your I-70 commute to avoid peak travel times and make the most of your time in the heart of Summit County!
First, check the forecast and brush up on your winter driving tips. If you’re heading eastbound on Saturday or Sunday, plan to leave the mountains after 7:00 p.m. Better yet, spend a Sunday night with us and head to work or school early Monday morning. Now, cue your favorite holiday tunes, bust out the Chex mix and hit the road to our winter wonderland.
Stop and Play in Silverthorne this Winter
While Silverthorne’s location in the heart of Summit County makes us a common stop-off the highway during traffic delays, our community offers so much more than a place to top off your tank. Even if we aren’t your final destination, make sure to pull off at Exit 205 and enjoy all that our special community has to offer.
- Start your weekend here. Silverthorne’s First Friday events, held the first Friday of each month, are a great way to kick off your mountain adventure with festive live music, delicious food and all-around good times. January’s First Friday event with Simon Beck is not-to-miss! Hitting the road on Friday night is also a great way to get to the mountain first thing in the morning without waiting in traffic. Stay the night at the Hampton Inn & Suites, Quality Inn or one of our area’s unique vacation rentals.
- Brew through. Need to wet your whistle? Make Silverthorne your après destination. Angry James Brewery and The Bakers’ Brewery offer great drink specials featuring a wide variety of eats and rotating brews on tap. Please remember to designate a driver and be safe on the road!
- Stop in for a show. The Lake Dillon Theater Company offers a variety of programming year-round at the Silverthorne Performing Arts Center. If you have yet to visit this Summit County gem, you are in for a treat.
- Shop, don’t drop. Why battle traffic when you can wrap up your holiday gift list or take advantage of post-Christmas specials? At the Outlets at Silverthorne, you can choose from hundreds of name brands like Crocs, J.Crew and Under Armour and find great deals.
- Fuel your tank. We aren’t talking about your gas tank here. Try out Silverthorne’s newest restaurant, Timberline Craft Kitchen & Cocktails, to get your fill of small plates in a lively atmosphere. For homestyle Italian try Sauce on the Blue, discover Irish specialties at Murphy’s Food & Spirits and indulge in south-of-the-border classics at Fritangas Mexican Restaurant.
- Don’t hate, caffeinate! No one likes travel delays, but your mood will improve with a locally-crafted hot drink from Red Buffalo Coffee and Tea. Try a wild blueberry green tea or a Nutty Professor latte. Catch up with locals inside the cozy shop, or take it for the road!
Please stop in and stay awhile, and be safe out there this winter! For more travel information, visit:
- Road conditions and travel information: www.COtrip.org
- Chain and traction law: www.codot.gov/travel/colorado-chain-law
- Sign up for project or travel alerts: bit.ly/COalerts
For additional winter trip ideas and itineraries, visit silverthorne.org.